Wednesday, June 17, 2009

1989 Topps Major League Debut #145: Paul Wilmet



Paul Wilmet

PHOTO: I've never heard of this guy before, but the first thing I thought when I saw the photo was that he looked awfully old to be a rookie. Indeed, as you can see from the card back, Wilmet was born in late 1958, making him 30 when this photo was taken.

STAT: It's kind of sad to look at this guy's career. He spent 8 years in the minors (missing 1983 for some reason), got bombed in the majors at the end of 1989 and after a lackluster year in the minors in 1990, was done in pro baseball.

ANAGRAM: Paul Wilmet = Will eat ump

CAREER: 1/10

15.43 ERA in 2.1 major league innings

2 comments:

  1. One of those cases where maybe a scout's eyes should have been brought into play. He looks like he's at one of those Major League fantasy camps. Not a good sign for a rook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Paul Wilmet....and here's the deal. I drank my ass off and did lots of prescription drugs (atavan) , so by the time I finally got sober and got called up to the big leagues, I was actually 30 but had lied about my age by two years. So, I was really 28 in baseball years. Who the fuck are you anyways? Maybe you should get in the batters box and lets see how old I am then. I'm 51 now and can still throw in the mid 80s and I'll take one off of your cranium and then see how fucking smart you are!! Beotch

    ReplyDelete